to see myself — a personal narrative

as shattered glass

if i were to break, if i were to break like glass, i would ensure the break would be clean. i would push out the shards remaining around the edges because in my breaking i would still demand cleanliness and order and perfection. to break jaggedly and incompletely — why, that’s simply a waste of time.

as a source of light

if i answered this one year ago, i would have said that i am the flame of a lighter. flickering, and unsure, and reliant on the strength of others. as i answer this now, i am like a ray of sun. beating down, quietly but surely, and reliant on the strength i know i possess — why, that’s simply how i have grown.

as a frame

if i were to be a frame, and if i were asked to display what i am most proud of inside my boundaries, i would, without hesitance, place a picture of my friends inside. not only to show their beauty and their wisdom and their thoughtfulness, but to reflect upon myself the utter joy i possess with these people in my life — why, that’s simply what i value.

as a flower

if i could see myself as a flower, i would wish myself to be a chrysanthemum. with bright, welcoming colours and open, inviting petals, i would live its meaning of lasting friendship, of cheerfulness, of enduring life, of loyalty. i would wither, at times, with the harsher rains (and the harsher words), but the light that is i and the light that is those i surround myself with would ensure my growth once more — why, that’s simply how i would bloom.

as a sound

if i were to live through one sound and one sound alone, i would be that of a heartbeat. i would rise with excitement and with passion and i would fall with disappointment and with pity. i would be inextricably connected to emotions, to empathy, to heartaches, to heartbursts, and others would rely on my presence as much as i would rely on theirs, as a source for all of these and more — why, that’s simply how i would live my life.

claire b.

3 thoughts on “to see myself — a personal narrative

1. Dear Claire,

This piece is beautiful. I love how different each paragraph is yet they’re all connected by the use of “why thats simply..” at the end of each one. I love your writing style and I think you thought of a really unique way to extend the prompt of shattered glass we were given in class.

The only suggestion I would give you is that you should continue adding to this. This is one of those pieces that is never truly complete because this is about you and you are always growing and changing.

This was a brilliant read!

Sincerely,
    Masooma

2. Dearest Claire Lin,
    This was absolutely beautiful. I would have never seen these mundane things from everyday life as personified representations of myself yet you allow them to embody you in a captivating and unique manner. The way you are able to draw parallels from simple things and connect them to the complexities of your personality is a signature quality of yours. Your writing is not only lyrical but also significant. When reading your work, it pleases both the mind and the ear, a quality that elevates your writing and dignifies your person.

The only advice I have for you is to maybe continue this for a little longer. It is possible that this is just me wanting to read more of your work, but I’m sure I’m not the only one. (also fix your bangs)

With Love

Em

3. dear claire,

i think your writing is best summarized by the metaphor of shattered glass you so eloquently described – clean, beautiful, and fragmented. this piece gave me a glimpse into the way you see yourself and the way you see the world around you. one thing i really appreciated was your use of parallel structure, and the actual syntax of your writing. it’s so unique, breaking the rules in a stylistic way, and makes me want to read so much more.

with love,
    alysha